feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

Custom Search

Clinicals

Well, I'm up at 5 am for clinicals today and I'm just killing a little time before I leave. I thought I would share something about me. I think I am opposite from all RT students. You see, with the normal student General care is something to be tolerated until you get to critical care. Everyone wants to get to the ICU to take care of the ventilator patients. Not me though.

I love general care. I love getting to know a patient, even for the brief time I am in their room. Now, I do hate having 10-12 patients on a list for one hours round. Then I have to shovel out the meds. You know the drill. Introduce self, slap pulse ox on finger, listen to breath sounds, put meds in nebulizer and slap the mask on their face, only to move on to the next patient. Even then I try to talk to them while I am doing this. You can learn a lot about a person in 2 minutes.

I'm still a student so I am by no means an expert. Just enjoy your time in General Care with your patients. There will plenty of Critical Care clinicals to go around. Now I am heading out to a hospital that MAY have one ventilatr patient (but probably will not).



Bookmark and Share
3 comments:
gravatar
Cara said...
February 12, 2009 at 6:13 AM  

Thank you so much for all that you do for the CF community, Marcus!!

gravatar
Christy said...
February 12, 2009 at 7:21 AM  

Ditto on what Cara said!! :)

I think you have a great attitude about patient care. Those patients are lucky to have you for sure.

gravatar
Marcus said...
February 12, 2009 at 4:28 PM  

Thank you for the kind words. I don;t feel like I do enough but plan on trying to get to a childrens hospital to work with cf kids when I graduate.

Post a Comment